Monday, January 19, 2009

A New Year

I have started out this year reading a daily book called Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach. It is about how everyday your life can be an expression of your authentic self and lead you to a happier, more contented life. Each days article starts out with a quote. The quote on one day states, "You only live once-but if you work it right, once is enough"-Joe E Lewis. It makes you stop and think about what changes you would make in order to make that statement true. A person would definately want to live their life without any regrets. Knowing that everything you did was with a purpose or a goal in mind or just because it is something you wanted to do and enjoy. As I get older I make a list, a "bucket list" so to speak of things I would like to do or experience in the lifetime that I have. I want to learn to play the piano, to go to Washington D.C., to see the Buffalo stampede in South Dakota and to see Pearl Harbor. I want to raise chickens, grow a beautiful garden, can fruits and vegetables, become a great cook and make a quilt from scratch just like my grandma. I want to truly feel and enjoy to experience of every moment and not "sweat the small stuff". In the big picture there are a lot of daily things that happen to people that really does not matter. Like being stuck in traffic..and then getting angry about it. The past few months I have made a conscience effort when I get upset with something to ask myself, is this going to matter tomorrow or next week or even next year. If not I try to let it go. So far it really helps me. I feel the little stuff fading away and not even mattering. Hopefully this is a start to having a life of simple abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment